Helpful Information

Who owns it?

Winterizing your water system

Preventing pipes from freezing

Fraud Caution

Conservation Classes

Fats, Oils, and Grease

Equal Payment Plan


Water and Sewer Availability Fees

Past Due Accounts

Paperless Statement Option

On-line Payments


Information About Lead

Property Tax Information

Water Storage



Who owns it?

Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District (TBID) appreciates you as a customer and is committed to provide reliable water and sewer service.

We endeavor to do everything possible to avoid accidents that involve our system, but occasionally due to no fault of our own a water pipe may break, or a sewer collection line may back up.

It is important to note that when a sewer lateral backs up, regardless if the blockage is found in TBID’s sewer main or in the owner’s sewer lateral, the property owner is responsible for the cleanup costs in most cases. TBID, or its insurer, will pay for cleanup costs only if TBID negligently failed to maintain it’s sewer main.

In order to help customers be informed of this risk, we strongly encourage you to contact your homeowner’s insurance
provider to make sure that your homeowner’s policy will cover:

  •  Accidental water discharge that may occur both inside or from sources outside of your home
  • Back-up of sewer and drains

At times these coverages are elective, which means that they can be included in your policy at a nominal increase in
cost. A few insurance companies may include these coverages automatically depending on the type of policy that you purchase. Please consult with your insurance agent to make sure that these coverages are in your homeowner’s policy.

Having the proper insurance coverage allows for you to immediately notify and receive services that are set up by your insurance company. If your insurance carrier feels that TBID is negligent in any way, they may undertake a claim against us and potentially offset any costs associated with a water or sewer event if we are negligent.

At TBID we work very hard to maintain our system and to upgrade when it is appropriate and necessary. But at time unfortunate things happen and we would like to advise you right now to anticipate such events so that if a sewer line backs up or a water line fails, you have immediate resources available to you through your insurance company.


Information about winterizing your water system.


Fraud Caution

Customers have reported receiving phone calls from unknown individuals requesting payment of water bills. If a caller claims to be calling for payment of your water bill they are actually crooks looking for a quick payoff. Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District will not contact our customers by phone for payment. If you have any question regarding your account, please contact us at 801-968-9081.



Free Classes at the Conservation Garden Park.

The Park has been developed by Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District to inspire, educate, and empower our communities to be waterwise.  Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District supports this valuable resource. Information can be found at




Fats, Oils and Grease.

Problems can develop in your plumbing drains and in the sewer collection system due to the improper disposal of fats, oils and grease (FOG).  In order to reduce potential problems the following information is provided by Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District on how to properly handle FOG.

Disposing of used cooking oil and grease down a sink can be costly both to the homeowner as well as the District. Grease disposed of in sinks and drains can lead to sewer line clogs and sewage backups into homes and businesses, sewage overflowing into streets, and adverse impacts to public health and the environment.

The easiest way to solve the FOG buildup problem is to keep the material out of the sewer system. Here are a few tips:

  • Collect grease and food scraps from plates, pots, pans, utensils, grills and cooking surfaces into a can or the trash.
  • Pour cooled FOG into a can or other container with a tight lid (coffee can, glass jar or plastic container) and dispose of it in the garbage.
  • Don’t pour grease down garbage disposals. Put baskets/strainers in sink drains to catch food scraps and other solids, and empty the drain baskets/strainers into the trash.

Tell your family, friends and neighbors about problems associated with grease in the sewer system and how to keep it out. The solution starts in your home with your actions.

If you have any questions regarding this article please contact Dan McDougal, Communications Manager, at Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District: 801-968-9081 / [email protected]  or visit our website at





Equal Pay –  How does it help?

Our Equal Pay program may be a helpful tool for you to more easily and conveniently budget for your water and sewer by eliminating some of the highs and lows in your monthly bills. Enrollment takes place annually during October. An Equal Payment Plan Agreement and information can be received by contacting the District.



Fluoride – Why is it added to the water?

Fluoride is added to the water as the result of a majority vote of Salt Lake County residents. It is intended “to promote public health through the protection and maintenance of dental health” (SLVHD, Reg. #33). Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District currently fluoridates its water sources to comply with this requirement. Further questions regarding fluoridation can be addressed by contacting the Salt Lake Valley Health Department at 385-468-3862.


Water and Sewer Availability Fees – Why is it needed?

Availability fees are used to maintain and keep the system fully operational.  These fees pay for a variety of items including, but not limited to, public fire protection, maintenance of the service line from the water main to the meter box, and debt service associated with outstanding bonds for infrastructure. Availability Fees are charged regardless of water consumption.


Past Due Accounts – What happens next?

Past due amounts may be certified with the County Treasurer for collection with your property taxes as allowed by Utah Code Ann. Section 17B-1-902.  Upon certification, a $20.00 fee will be charged.  The County Treasurer will charge interest until the account is paid in full. Any amount certified becomes a lien on your property. Inquiries regarding liens may be made by contacting the County Treasurer at 385-468-8300.



Paperless Statement Option – Want to help the environment?

Create an Xpress Bill Pay account at or call 800-766-2350, ext. 1. Select or request the Paperless (On) Option. Statements may be viewed on-line through your Xpress Bill Pay account.



On-line Payments – Where can online payments be made?

Payments may be made at




Contact the District to request a final read to close your Account. The property owner is responsible to pay all fees and charges until the property changes ownership.



Information About Lead

Taylorsville-Bennion Improvement District service area is comprised of relatively new construction. Construction standards that were in place at the time of high growth are similar to those practiced today, PVC or Ductile Iron main lines and PVC or Copper service lines. No lead lines were used in the District’s distribution system with lead service lines and setters being removed as roadways have been widened.


Homes constructed between 1980 and 1986 using copper piping may have lead solder joints. The District samples for Lead and Copper from a representative group of these homes every three years. Homeowners receive the sampling results and the District reports the results in the Annual Consumer Confidence Report.


When purchasing plumbing fixture look for those that are certified Lead Free.


AWWA Video


Water Storage

Water is an essential item to your family’s survival, but it can a very limited resource during a disaster. Make sure that you have enough water for your family and that it is stored in a safe way.

Video link: